Happy New Years (6 days late)! 2020 was… a year. It wasn’t all bad for me to be honest. Despite the pandemic and quarantines, I had some very cool experiences and have met a lot of people. Some of which I consider to be very dear and close friends, and hope to continue to know for years to come. Both professionally and socially I was challenged. I went to Vegas for work, and Minnesota for pleasure. All while managing to avoid the virus. 2020 humbled me in many ways that I am still learning from, and expect to be learning from for months to come.
I hope 2021 has more cool adventures and more opportunities to grow. This will be the first year that I am really hosting this website, and hope to become more involved in it.
Here are some of the things I want to do with it specifically:
- More blogs on my thoughts and beliefs in technology
- Workflow showcases
- I really want to set up my own searx instance. I have had so many issues getting it going, it’s insane.
- Host my own IRC server?
I don’t expect this site to get much traction at all, it’s really just a learning project. If it helps someone out in some way though, that’s cool.
A part from site specific things here are some more general computer things I want to accomplish this year:
- Learn more about general security with Linux (GPG, kernel hardening, system administration)
- Look more into BSD(Probably GhostBSD or OpenBSD)
- Better manage my home server(RAID, Backup solution, Plex->Jellyfin, local git(lab) server)
- Finish and publish more personal projects for my git site
For personal/fitness goals, if I end the year feeling better physically than I do now, and don’t lose any friends or anything, I’ll be happy.
Until I setup an IRC server or a mastodon instance or something, you can contact me at jackson [at] jacksontaylor [dot] xyz if you have any suggestions for the site or questions. Thanks for reading.